Friday, July 4, 2014

Day 34: Don't Let the Rain Get You Down

I hate the rain. I especially hate the rain when it ruins a holiday and keeps us from spending time at the beach.

We knew the rain was coming. All the weather forecasts said it would. But, when we woke up this morning we were not also expecting a power outage. Since yesterday was a gorgeous, sunshiny day, I instantly regretted spending the day at wineries instead of at the beach. There's only a handful of things to do at the beach when its raining and going to wineries is one of the few things -- like outlet shopping -- that you can't do in the city. I was in a bad mood. The rain was bumming me out and the idea of even more people filling up the house when we couldn't even flush the toilets was really bumming me out.

The rain bums Ginger out, too

As the rain lifted and the power in the house restored, Shawn and I ventured into town to take advantage of the better cell service there. He needed to send some work emails; I needed to get out of the house. Sunshine and coffee proved to lighten my mood. By the time we got home, I was feeling better.

It rained on and off all day, but I stopped feeling bad about it. Instead of wallowing, we went to our favorite place near the beach for lunch and tried to avert our eyes as the Coney Island hot dog eating contest played while we ate. I drank Corona and ate coconut shrimp. We stopped at the butcher on the way home for hot dogs and hamburgers for a good old fashioned Fourth of July BBQ. At dinner, eight of us crowded around the big dining room table. Then we all walked down to the bay and tried to light lanterns that were supposed to drift into space. They plummeted swiftly into the water instead.

Our group in the house this weekend included three dogs aka the Westhampton Wolfpack



No comments:

Post a Comment