Friday, July 11, 2014

Day 41: Visit Old Friends


Me and Erin at brunch in San Francisco
One of the main goals I've had this summer is to catch up with people who I have lost touch with over the past two years. Business school can be hell on your friendships.

Erin is one of my closest and oldest friends, despite the fact that she lives on the opposite coast. When we met, she was living in Brookly and we were coworkers. A few short months after our friendship started to grow, she decided to move back to San Francisco, where she settled with her now-husband Ben, way back in 2007. For a few years, our employer (my former employer) would fly her back twice a year for meetings and holiday parties, but recently I've been trying to see her once a year or so. Two years ago, a group of us girls went to Santa Fe together. Last year, I saw her briefly on a business trip, then she flew out to New York to come to my wedding -- without her hubby and 8 months pregnant! If that's not friendship, I don't know what is.

When Shawn found out he had a business meeting in LA this month and we decided to spend a few days in Northern California wine country afterward, I decided to fold a visit with Erin into the start of my trip. So while Shawn went to LA for a few days, then spent a night with friends in Newport Beach, I flew to San Francisco on Thursday and spent two days with Erin, Ben and their baby Paxten.

I was so. much. fun. I loved spending time with my old friend, laughing, crying, catching up, cooking lemon spaghetti and agreeing that it was good but not like our favorite spot in the city, Supper. One night we went to a nice girl's dinner at a lovely San Fran hot spot called Flour + Water, where we drank wine and ate pizza and ordered two desserts. What could be bad?

I also loved meeting little Pax and getting to know her sweet little personality. I was thrilled to witness her first assisted steps with a little alligator push toy that she didn't seem to have any interest in before today. The more of my friends' babies I am meeting, the more surprised I am to see their husband's heads on a little baby's body. Pax is pure Ben as a baby girl. She has red hair and fair skin and is already pretty good at giving you a withering stare. That girl is going to be trouble!

Though I only got to see Erin and her family for a short visit, I'm so happy I got to do it. It's one of the highlights of my summer so far! I wish I could see them more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment