Sunday, July 27, 2014

Day 57: Don't Forget Your Priorities

Ginger and me enjoying a sunny Sunday on the porch
When I say that having a dog is like having a kid, some mothers roll their eyes at me. But what I mean is that having my dog -- my high strung, high maintenance, easily sickened, demanding dog -- means, more often than not, putting this creature who can't feed or take care of herself before myself and my needs and desires. 

For example: today, I wanted to go to the beach with Shawn and our friends. It was a gorgeous, warm summer day, totally making up for yesterday's grim sky and sprinkling showers. But a couple people were staying behind to clean up the house. Not wanting to leave the dog home alone without one of her owners being here, I decided to stay home and hang out with the Ginger.

I'm sure the dog would have been fine if left alone with our friends. But just in case I wanted to be there, to protect my baby and keep an eye on her so she didn't run into the road and get hit by a car (worst case scenario). Sure, I missed a glorious day at the beach, but there will be more later this summer. There never can be another Ginger. 

What's more, I take pleasure in spending as much time as I can with Ginger while I have this time off from work. I'm going to miss the little girl when I'm sitting at my desk each day.

Ginger spies a bunny
On the way home again


No comments:

Post a Comment