Saturday, July 19, 2014

Day 49: Let Yourself Recover

This whole summer, so far, has felt like a lot of work. Vacation shouldn't feel like work! But with all the travel and juggling work and taking care of Ginger and Shawn and myself...this summer has already worn me out!

We got back from the West Coast LATE on Wednesday night/Thursday morning. Our flight, which was scheduled to land close to midnight, was delayed. And after waiting for what seemed like forever for our luggage, we realized that the international terminal at JFK was super busy. There was a traffic jam outside the terminal at 2 a.m.! So, our car was late meeting us at the gate and we didn't get home and to bed until 3 a.m. I think -- I lost track of the time. I was thoroughly exhausted from head to toe, which is not really the way you want to feel when you come home from vacation!

Thursday I traveled up to Stamford to pick up Ginger from my parents/dog sitters and then came straight home to meet a friend for dinner. If it was any other week,  Shawn and I would have packed up and headed out to the beach on Friday. But it was just too much. We were both wrecked from a week on the West Coast, complete with endless wine and mounds of Mexican food. And between the long drives to and from the wineries and staying in a house with seven other people -- including three children between the ages of 2 and 6 -- our trip to wine country was not especially relaxing. The thought of packing up the dog and going to another house full of strangers for a weekend seemed even more daunting. So, for the first weekend this summer, we decided to forego the Hamptons and just stay home in New York City for the weekend.

Our decision to stay home and recoop ended up being the best decision ever. Today we slept in and had a leisurely brunch. Later in the day we meet our friends for afternoon drinks in the West Village and I realized how much I don't want to even look at wine right now! We ended up at the Spotted Pig where Shawn and I split the epic burger and chicken liver toast. Yum! We went back home, picked up Ginger, and brought her to our friends' apartment uptown where we ate pizza, drank beer and played Head's Up until everyone's iPhone batteries ran out.

I am fully aware that I am the lamest person alive. All summer, Shawn and I have spent our weekends grilling and drinking wine at a house near the beach with our dog and friends. We haven't been out late drinking at bars and clubs and we don't explore the trendy new restaurants of the city or Hamptons. But even our lame Hamptons life was too much for us to take this weekend, and I'm glad we decided to stay home and recharge. Everyone needs that every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment