Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Day 11: Learn How To Golf

Part of being a couple is doing things that your partner enjoys. Shawn loves to golf yet I never considered taking it up. It seemed too complicated, too difficult and too expensive. It involves too much stuff, from clubs and bags to clothing and shoes. Even getting to a golf course when you live in NYC is complicated. I never played as a kid or in my 20's, wasn't it too late for me to pick it up now?

After seeing Shawn play for the past three years and realizing that many of my girlfriends also play, I figured out that it's never too late to learn to play golf -- especiallly not in your early 30's. Learning a new sport would let me have more adventures and fun times with Shawn, and might even come in handy in my career. 

Since I had all this free time this summer, I figured now was the perfect time to take some lessons and learn what all the fuss is about. Shawn's parents live in a golf community in Florida, so I even had a place to go to learn. Yesterday, I flew down to spend a few days in Florida and take three days of golf lessons. 

Today was my first lesson. Being a former field hockey player, the feeling of swinging a club was somewhat familiar -- even though its been over a decade since I graced a field hockey field. Learning something new is fun and challenging -- exactly what I feel like I need this summer. I'm looking forward to learning more, practicing and playing my first game with my husband (although I think I want to start with just 9 holes). 


No comments:

Post a Comment