Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Day 24: Visit With Family


This is Maile. She was born in late Januray but I just met her for the first time today. Her family lives about three hours from me, which is not far but not close enough to see them on a regular basis. For previous visits, I've taken the train or bus and stayed for a night or two -- sometimes even bringing Ginger. But that was before they had two babies. Now I like to visit for a day at a time, and it's one time when having a car would be nice.

So, today, my parents picked me up in the city and we drove together to see all our family that lives in the area -- my uncle, four cousins, three of their spouses and 12 kiddies. It was a crazy day of babies, sunshine and pizza, but I left, as always, wishing I lived closer to that crazy crew. As Shawn and I continue to make our home and establish our life here in NYC, I doubt we'll ever pick up and move toward the Philadelphia suburbs. But, you never know. 

If nothing else, today's trip reminded me to make time for the people I care about. It might be a hassle to drive 6 hours in one day to spend a few hours with a close friend or family member, but what you will remember are those precious moments, conversations and laughs. You will never regret making those trips, no matter how long the drive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment