Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Day 4: Say Yes To Different Events

I'm a homebody by nature. I love nothing more than sitting on the couch with my dog watching one of the thousands of television shows that I like to watch. From time to time, I get invited to events, but I've turned down a lot of things in the past two years because there were literally three different school-related things to do every night, not to mention all the homework and reading I had to do on a fairly regular basis.

Tonight, I decided to attend an event organized by my undergrad university's alumni office. My alma mater, Boston University's College of Communication, recently hired New York Times media columnist David Carr as an adjunct professor. The event tonight was a networking reception followed by a panel led by Carr. Shawn and I went together; it was a fun thing to do together since we're both in the same industry. And, we ended up meeting another couple there -- the woman was a recent MBA grad who worked in advertising (like Shawn) and the guy worked for my company as an editor. Small world!

Normally, I would have found some excuse to not go to this kind of event. This summer, I want to make time to try new things, meet new people and grow my network even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment