Sunday, June 22, 2014

Day 22: Sunday In The City

I've spent the past few weekends out of town, either at the beach in the Hamptons or back home with my parents in Connecticut. I'm not complaining, but it is nice to have a long weekend day stretch before me in the city.

But, since it was one of the few days we had in the city, we packed it full of as much stuff as we could.

The day started with a walk for Ginger. As the day heated up, we headed to brunch with friends. I love brunch, but it's something we don't do when we're out at the beach. It's purely a city dweller indulgence; when you have nowhere to go and nothing to do all day, drink mimosas and stuff yourself full of eggs, pastries and bacon.

Stuff ourselves we did...which wasn't necessarily a good idea since Shawn was playing hockey later in the day. But the meal sustained us through dinner, so that was good.

Since Shawn was playing hockey later in the day at Chelsea Piers, we decided to hit some balls at the driving range at Chelsea Piers together first. It was fun to show off my new golfing skills, but I definitely overdressed in my new golfing outfit. Sunday afternoon is the perfect time to wander in off the street and hit some golf balls, or go on a midday summer weekend date at the range. There were people in jeans or short skirts or flip flops. Some people hit balls barefoot. It was quite the eclectic crowd. Shawn and I had some fun and I only slightly destroyed the mat once with a big driver (if I was on grass I would have left a big divet, which my golf pro told me was okay!).




After golfing practice, I had a new experience: watching Shawn play hockey at Chelsea Piers! In the three-plus years we've been together, I can count the number of times I have seen Shawn play hockey on one hand -- and when he's on a regular schedule, he can play two or three times a week. But his weekly men's league games are not a spectator sport. It's like going to the gym or the park to watch your guy play pick up basketball. It's not that interesting, there's not really any seating and there's no one else there watching. Also, because it's hockey, it's cold! And, it smells. Hockey players and their equipment STINK and your nose is assaulted if you're just standing near a locker room or an equipment bag. The rink and locker room areas at Chelsea Piers are all pretty close together, so the locker room smell permeated the cold rink as well. There was no escaping it. I am so lucky my husband leaves his hockey gear in a Chelsea Piers locker and not in our apartment -- though that probably contributes to its awful, awful smell. In a sport full of smelly kids, Shawn is one of the smelliest.

Regardless, I had a fun time. There were a few other guys who I knew who were playing, so it was fun to see everyone on the ice. There were two other women spectators and I very much enjoyed sitting next to an older lady drinking white wine out of a plastic cup (like they sell at Madison Square Garden and similar venues) and reading her Kindle. When Shawn wasn't on the ice, I played Candy Crush and tried to get into a smaller and smaller ball to stay warm. I was also very amused to see that, even though there was no one watching them play, the guy manning the scoreboard and penalty buzzer still played short clips of Top 40 songs between plays, during time outs and after goals were scored.

I won't be running back to see Shawn play again, but it was a fun way to spend a Sunday with my hubby. Definitely a summer treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment